Nominations and Elections
This committee shall be composed of three professional or ascending professional members of this Society, none of whom are officers or directors of this Society.
1. Obtaining candidates for elective Board of Directors positions.
a. This committee shall send on or before January 15th to the professional and emeritus members of this Society, the list offices which expire July 31st and send a list of professional and emeritus members eligible for nomination as officers and directors of this society and eligible for selection as delegates and alternates to the annual session of the House of Delegates of the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science.
b. Shall request names of proposed candidates for the above offices and positions with instructions that the preferential ballots be sent to the chair of this committee no later than February 10th.
2. Only professional, ascending professional, and emeritus members may receive preferential ballots, be nominated for office may nominate and elect candidates.
3. This committee shall send to all eligible nominated candidates a consent to serve if elected form. A written consent to serve must be received by the committee before the candidate can be elected.
4. At least thirty (30) days prior to the annual meeting, the committee shall prepare a slate of no more than five (5) candidates for each office and shall distribute this ballot to the professional, ascending professional, and emeritus members with the candidates’ qualifications. These closed ballots must be returned to the chair of the committee at least five (5) days before the annual meeting.
5. The committee shall recognize nominations from the floor provided there are less than five candidates on the ballot and that either the nominated candidate be present or have sent a written consent to serve if elected. The qualifications of all candidates nominated from the floor shall candidates nominated from the floor shall be presented to the professional, ascending professional, and emeritus membership at the time such nominations are made.
6. Elections shall be by closed ballot and a majority of votes cast shall elect. The chair of this committee does not vote but reserves the vote to break a tie. The results of the election shall be announced by the presiding officer of the annual business meeting at the time of the elections.
7. Immediately following the sine die adjournment of the annual business meeting, the chair of this committee shall place the official and complete list of nominees and their qualifications, plus a copy of the slate of candidates distributed to the professional, ascending professional, and emeritus members and the number of votes cast for each in a sealed envelope. This sealed envelope shall be placed in the Administrative Secretarial files where it shall remain for a period of one year, whereupon it shall be destroyed. This envelope shall be opened only when the Board of Directors must act to fill a vacancy in office as prescribed in the Bylaws and SOP of this Society.
8. At the end of his/her term on the committee, each member shall deliver all properties in his possession pertaining to the committee to the new chair of the committee at least five (5) days before the annual meeting.